Vital Information About Drug Rehab for Adults
November 6, 2018
People get into substance use for various reasons; experimentation, peer pressure, stress, availability, to feel good and to help them deal with life struggles. No matter the reason why one gets into drugs, they are harmful. The first attempt leads to the second and third. It later becomes a habit and one can do anything just to consume the substance. Addicted people will lie, manipulate, or steal to get money to buy the substance of choice.
After a period of drug use the body develops tolerance. It will require more quantity of the drug to experience the effect you could earlier experience after a little consumption of the substance. All drugs are addictive, including prescription drugs. Once you are addicted you can’t live or perform without the substance.
Drug and alcohol addiction can be very terrifying, and one may lack an idea on how to save themselves or a loved one from the nightmare. Dealing with an addict can be traumatizing. If you, your spouse, child, relative, workmate, or a neighbor is having a substance use disorder, you are quite aware of the impacts that drug abuse. The sleepless nights, mood swings, withdrawal symptoms, fatigue, and many others.
What many people don’t comprehend is that, life can still get back to normal again. You can redefine yourself again and get help. You don’t have to deal with drug and alcohol addiction alone. There are specialists who are trained to assist you recover and prevent any relapse. Help is available, the treatment given works, and you can have a promising future again. Free from substance abuse and the painful withdrawal symptoms.
At the rehabilitation center, there are two main objectives; to empower the addicted person with knowledge, not only about drugs but general life and to connect them with professionals who will give you all the answers you have been looking for.
Many people tend to think it’s their irresponsibility and being not there for their loved ones that made them to turn to drugs. Thinking about it can drain all your energy. Don’t blame yourself, abuse of drugs and alcohol is a choice. Every choice that one makes has got consequences which follow later. He or she chose to turn to drugs to avoid reality.
You or your friend got all the signs of drug and alcohol addiction? It is time to intervene and seek help for them. You have realized that they have neglected the activities they used to do, experience painful withdrawal symptoms such as severe headaches, fatigue, insomnia, and vomiting, can’t control the amount of substance they consume, and many other suspicious things.
Staging an intervention with the addicted person is the first and important step to prepare them for a rehab. An intervention is a planned and structured conversation between the addicted individual, family members, and probably a friend that is supervised by an expert. If you manage conducting a warm intervention, the addict can express their feelings honestly and in a comprehensible manner.
Interventions can save an addict’s life. Attempt talking with the person, though it can be difficult, and they might not reveal anything. If so, try a group intervention with his or her loved ones and a specialist. Interventions make the addict realize how their actions are hurting people they care about and love.
Ideas of Staging an Intervention
The aim of an intervention is to assist the addict get into recovery and rehab. Approaching the person can be tricky and one may not know how to start the conversation or what to say. They might also deny your suspicions, making the situation more difficult. The following are five steps you can adhere to;
Get an expert for Interventions
You might have tried talking to the addicted person, but it has been all in vain. They denied and probably became violent. We have intervention specialists who maintain the conversation between the two parties moving calmly. They help the addicted people to stop their denial act. Confronting an addicted person on your own can worsen the situation. They might not talk and reject any kind of help you offer. Friends and relatives should not stage an intervention alone without an expert.
Forming an intervention group is a strategy to help in convincing the person that they need help and should sign in a rehab. spouses, children, friends, co-workers, and other people who matter to the person are involved in the intervention. They might assist in getting the addict accept to go to rehab. however, before the intervention, the involved like kids and elderly people should be prepared for any intense occurrences that may occur during the conversation.
Preparations and Rehearsals
Before staging an intervention, the specialist prepares the involved-on drug addiction and recovery. Getting the information helps them to have ideas on what to say that might help their loved to consider treatment and recovery. The intervention expert assists them to prepare and rehearse.
Addicted people rarely realize the harm they are causing to themselves and their loved ones. Drugs contain chemicals that alter the brain chemistry. Perception of things changes, and one makes decisions which are questionable. Their priorities in life has changed, what matters to them is the substance of choice.
Close friends and family members will help in triggering reality to them by describing ways in which the addict’s behavior is affecting them. the stories should be written and rehearsed before the intervention. The specialist should review them before the conversation too.
Meeting place and time
The meeting point should be known to the person and should be an inspiring and calm place. It makes the addicted calmer in such a place, and there are high chances that the conversation will be smooth. Schedule the intervention at a time when the person is sober. It is important to make the intervention short, half an hour and 90 minutes are enough.
Open Mind with no Expectations
Be prepared for anything during or after the intervention. Nobody can predict how a person reacts especially an addicted person whose mood swings are unpredictable. Intervention experts are trained on how to cool down any violent environments. Their presence makes the conversation peaceful and productive. If the situation gets more hostile and can’t be controlled call 911 instantly.
What next after the intervention? The intervention group should set anticipations and recovery goals for the addicted person. They must be responsible if they don’t follow the treatment. Come up with enforcement measures to make them realize how serious the situation is. You can deny them children custody or refuse to accommodate them at home if need be until they keep up with the treatment.
Treatment at Rehab
Recovering from drug and alcohol addiction is not a one-day event, rather a process that requires a professional setting and support. Recovering on your own can be dangerous and there are high chances of failing and getting back to substance use. Rehab are personalized to the specific needs of the addict. The specialists understand the emotional, behavioral, and physical needs of each person. Tools are provided to help you achieve sobriety and maintain. The following are programs that rehabs offer;
In inpatient program the addicted person resides at the treatment facility. One is offered 24/7 support and care from specialists. In hospitalized inpatient rehab intermittent medical services are given by medical experts all through while in a residential rehab there are healthcare experts who assist the patients. In both programs one is required to live in the treatment facility.
Gaining sobriety on your own and at home can be dangerous and can lead to a relapse later. The medical facility the surroundings are monitored, and one gets support when they need to overcome drug and alcohol addiction. The treatment and support given at a residential center is of the highest level.
Inpatient rehabs are different depending on the location, therapies given, experts experience, amenities, and many other factors. It is important to sign in the one that is perfect for your needs. The length of the stay in the facility differs based on how severe the addiction is, availability of other mental health conditions, and if a person has been in rehab before. The average period is 30 days, but it can go up to 60 days, 90 days, or even more than that.
During the inpatient program, some facilities can allow family members to participate in the treatment process through the family therapy and other activities. Through this, broken trust and friendship are mend. The specialists can determine the relationships or things that can trigger a relapse.
Recovery is challenging and support from family is of great need. At each facility there are unique accommodation plans. Some offer only the basic things with shared spaces and cafeteria-style meals. Recreational facilities such as swimming pool are also available to help in relaxation.
Choosing the Right Inpatient Facility
Every person has got unique needs which needs to be addressed in a special way. Every treatment facility is different, and the services given are different too. Research and ask questions to settle on the facility that will help you recover.
Types of addiction that the program treats
Every rehab offers treatment for certain drugs addiction. It is very essential to sign into a program that addresses your addiction and any disorders that may occur alongside the treatment. Every drug has specific physical and psychological impacts though some effects are common among many substances.
In many rehabilitation centers counseling is given individually or in groups. Traditional and non-traditional therapies are also administered. Sometimes all you require might be a family therapy or holistic therapies like yoga or music. Get a rehab that is offering the therapies you think can help you recover from drug addiction.
Recovery from substance use disorder is an ongoing process. The skills you learn at rehab should be incorporated in one’s life and it can take time. Life after rehab can be challenging and difficult to cope up with. One needs extra support and attention. Some facilities offer a follow up program to support and monitor your recovery.
Validity of the Rehab
Does the rehab have a license and is it verified? It is obvious that you need a facility that has qualified professionals. Find out if the staff and the facility are accredited. Sub-standard facilities can cost you without giving you any help.
In peer groups addicted people motivate each other throughout the treatment process. Some facilities offer the 12-step program, SMART recovery. The 12-steps offer guidelines for individuals to overcome drug addiction. They are based heavily on spirituality and emphasize greatly on the presence of God in each step. They are;
- We confessed that we are powerless over alcohol such that our lives have become uncontrollable.
- We have realized that there is a super power that is greater and can help us get back to normal.
- Have decided that we will surrender ourselves to God to take care of us since we have understood Him.
- Conducted a genuine and fearless search within ourselves.
- Have confessed to God, to other people and to ourselves how naturally our acts are wrong.
- We are now ready to have God to clear all shortcomings of our characters.
- We have humbly prayed to God to remove all our defects.
- We have listed down the people we have hurt and are ready and willing to apologise and amend to all of them.
- Amended broken trust and lost friendships directly if need be and if only it would worsen the situation.
- We continued to do a personal inventory and admit when we are wrong.
- By the help of prayer and meditation we will improve our connection to God since we have understood His supernatural powers to help us gain knowledge on His will and the ability to carry it on.
- Due to these steps, we have had a spiritual awakening and we have attempted to carry on this message to alcoholics and incorporate them in our lives.
SMART recovery can be an alternative to the 12 step groups. SMART or Self-Management and Recovery Training. In the group, you are trained how to manage addictions depending on personal underlying feelings. Participants are taught how to control cravings even after the treatment program. The following are the tips for SMART recovery;
- One should be willing to work towards sobriety. The participants can make a list of priorities and compare the cost of being sober and using drugs.
- Coping up with the cravings. Examine yourself and know what triggers the urge. You are taught how to suppress the urges using distraction techniques or medications that mimic the substance.
- Controlling feelings, thoughts and your actions. The addicted people are taught how to prevent relapse by learning how to manage feelings such as depression.
- Leading a life without drugs abuse. Living without using drug, which you have dependent on for long, can be drastic. You learn on redefining yourself, setting new goals, and activities you can engage in to make your life worth living.
A very common question ‘how much does it cost? The price depends on various factors. The amenities offered, the length of the program, the location, and the type of program. Inpatient treatment ranges between $200 to $900 in a day. Find out the payment options available. Some facilities accept insurance, but that depends with the medical facility. The insurance could be able to cater for a part of the treatment, so it is important to know your insurance plan before enrolling in a rehab.
Benefits of Enrolling in an Inpatient Rehab
If the drug addiction is intense, this program can be the best option. The support and monitored environment available maximize the chances of recovering successfully. The following are some advantages;
- The surroundings are safe and comfortable.
- You are free from external triggers.
- Availability of medical support all around the clock. They ensure that you recover comfortably. One is given medicine to relieve withdrawal symptoms pains.
- Support from peers, people who are dealing with addiction. You are motivated throughout the program.
In an outpatient program the treatment sessions are scheduled according to the patient’s free time. one can continue with their normal life but only check with their doctor’s daily or weekly. For it to be successful, one must be committed, and very disciplined since you stay at home and the environment can be very tempting. Outpatient program is offered in different formats;
The patient schedules some hours for 5-7 days weekly. At the scheduled time, you are counseled, either alone or in a group. Therapies are also given such as music therapy or family therapy. One can choose either to go back home or join a sober living home.
Intensive Outpatient Programs
In an intensive outpatient program, the treatment plan has a measurable milestone to check the progress. As you achieve one milestone, the commitment decreases. For instance, if you had scheduled to meet the specialist 5 days in a week, they might be reduced to 4 or days. It is the best choice for individuals who must meet their obligations like work, education, or family.
Groups like the Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous are created to offer support after recovery. Some are formed based on genders while others based a certain aspect of the recovery journey.
Advantages of Outpatient Program
Outpatient program can work well for moderate drug addictions. The following are its benefits;
- It is affordable as compared to inpatient program. You are allowed to stay at home hence you are saving the accommodation charges. Also, you will be allowed to work thus still earning your regular income.
- The flexibility offered by outpatient program is great. The treatment program work around your schedule. You only meet the doctor when it’s convenient for you.
- You are still connected to your family and friends. support is needed during the treatment program and with outpatient program, your family is always available to encourage and support you.
Preparing to Join a Rehab
Before planning to start treatment, there are few things you should do. It ensures that once you sign for the rehab you will be focused on recovery. It is normal to worry about your job, bills and family responsibilities. Moreover, it is vital to understand that you can deal with them smoothly by preparing early in advance. The following steps can assist you in ensuring everything is in order before joining a rehab;
- Work and family obligations – it might be tricky to tell your boss of you’re a 30-day stay at rehab. However, an employer who likes and acknowledges your productivity at work will want you to get better. Talk to your family and prepare them.
- Financial and legal aspects – sign up for automatic bill payments while you will be away, or you can trust your spouse or a relative to ensure your bills are cleared on time. Make sure that courts know that you are not within.
- Essentials – only prepare what you require in the facility. Home stuff can be tempting and only remind you home.
- Enjoy the company at the rehab and be free to make new friends and learn new things.
- Relax and engage in recreational activities that calms you like walking, watching movie etc. it is normal to be anxious when you think of rehab, but allow your body and mind to relax.
Once you suspect your loved one is suffering from substance use disorder, it is always normal to get discouraged. Many people blame themselves, which doesn’t help but only worsen the situation. The damage has already occurred. Live the past and deal with the current. The person needs help despite their remorseful behavior. They are acting that way due to the effects of the substance.
They can still get back to normal. A rehab has an environment that is safe for recovery. The specialists offer medical and emotional support to the patients. Facilities offer different programs which you can choose from. In an inpatient program you will be required to reside in the facility, but in an outpatient program you only visit your doctor according to your schedule either daily or weekly.